Sunday, January 31, 2010

what we did in class 1/31/10

If I could go back in time I would tell myself the differences between mitosis and meiosis. In meiosis the end result are haploid cells which mean that the cell(s) have only half of the DNA that it started with. In mitosis the end result is a diploid cell which means the new cell(s) has the exact amount of DNA as the parent cell did before mitosis. Another thing is that mitosis is used for replacing old, damaged cells and to make new ones. Meiosis is used to make sex cells. Also that the steps for the processes are basically the same. The only difference is that the steps in mitosis are prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase and cytokenisis. the steps in meiosis are prophase I, metaphase I, anaphase I, telophase I, cytokenisis, prophase II, metaphase II, anaphase II, telophase II, and gamete. The steps are the same just that in meiosis the steps are repeated twice where as in mitosis they are only done once.

The thing that helped me the most was the simulation in class we did on Friday that showed us each step, from each process at the same time. This really made it easier to learn the differences and similarities between the two processes. We could compare what was happening at each phase. Also on the side were brief descriptions of what was happening during each phase. Using visuals like that really helps me in learning things like these two processes.. If I went back in time and new I was going to do this I would be very confident that I would learn this concept very well.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy-GY-YCg3Y

No comments:

Post a Comment